How big is Baby Castles?

 BabyFruit Ticker

Where I Was Born To Be.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Tonight I attended my fourth and final Faculty Scholar Dinner. But, in case you were wondering, my name has already been thrown in the hat to be invited back as an alumni. A trip to California from Nashville in late February/early March? It's an easy sell every time!

But these nights make us all think back to the night we were the one put on the spot - asked to stand and give an impromptu (although somewhat warned) speech about our weekend at Pepperdine. I loved that weekend.

I sat that night in a room of 15 other finalists for the scholarship I was "interviewing" for, and, for what it's worth, I was humbled to be in the same group as most of those other students (and slightly convinced I was at the bottom of the barrel). I was the only finalist who brought a parent along for the weekend, and I did it because I was serious about the school. I needed a second opinion - another perspective - and some verification that it was the right thing for me to uproot my life and move 2,000 miles across the country. And deep down I already knew I belonged there. (In case you're wondering, my Dad took very little convincing. He was completely won over by the school and the people here, and he'd bought out the bookstore before we left for home!)

That's not to say I wasn't won over as well, but it was a big step for me. If you've known me longer than 5 minutes, you probably know that I've always wanted to live the California dream for a few years, and I've been particularly fixated on Pepperdine since 8th grade. But I sat there 4 years ago scared to death that I wouldn't be chosen for the scholarship. And, without that opportunity, I probably couldn't have made the commitment to Pepperdine - not because I wouldn't want to, but because law school finances are harsh.

So tonight I'm just thankful. Thankful for the administration and professors who saw something in me - at least enough to give me this scholarship. And, I'm thankful for the scholarship that made the dream possible. The last 3 years have easily been the best of my life, and Pepperdine has far exceeded all my expectations. I wouldn't change a thing.

So, four years ago I flew across the country and attended the dinner with my Dad. And this year, I attended the dinner with my husband. Life goes on ... and I'm just lucky enough to have spent the last 3 years (to quote Kenny Chesney) where I was born to be.

0 comments: